- Oil and Gas Operations
- Underground Storage
- Solution Mining
OilField Geomechanics (OFG) is a woman-owned, industry-leading consulting and training firm. We provide state-of-the-art geomechanics support in a timely and cost-effective manner while honoring our clients’ commitment to safety, health and environmental protection. OFG was founded in 2014 by Dr. Marisela Sanchez-Nagel and Dr. Neal Nagel, who, combined, have more than 60 years of geomechanics experience.
OFG can serve as an independent advisor for your company, can serve as part of a project team, or can provide turn-key consulting projects in order to provide the geomechanics expertise you need, when you need it.
When you face difficult geomechanics challenges, whether for conventional or unconventional oil & gas operations, underground storage or solution mining, from exploration to abandonment, or from the wellbore to the field scale, OFG has your back now and into the future.
Oil & Gas Operations
OFG’s expertise in Oil and Gas geomechanics is based upon more than 60 man-years of experience in the industry working on geomechanics projects spanning the globe that have included wellbore stability, hydraulic fracturing, compaction and subsidence, cap rock integrity, sand production, waterflood and water disposal geomechanics and induced (triggered) seismicity.
OFG has worked numerous solution mining projects in the United States and Canada providing geomechanics support for cavern design and operations as well as performing geomechanics modeling of cavern stability/instability.
Drs. Sanchez-Nagel and Nagel have provided expert witness support and testimony in numerous litigation and arbitration cases related to geomechanics problems in petroleum and mining engineering (e.g., solution mining, subsidence, hydraulic fracturing and induced seismicity).
OFG provides a wide-range of geomechanics training, both in-person and on-line. We put our passion for geomechanics as well as our career experience into each of our courses, while challenging common engineering practices through geomechanics understanding and fundamentals.
- Marisela and Neal will host a 1-day geomechanics course (virtual, across two mornings) for the Rocky Mountains Association of Geologists (RMAG) on the mornings of August 24th & 25th. Please visit www.rmag.org to enroll!
- Neal gave a presentation “Completions-Induced Casing Deformations in Unconventionals: What We Think We Know” at the 2021 URTeC Conference.
- Neal and Marisela recently presented a two-day course in Geomechanics for Unconventionals during the 9th Geomechanics Symposium in Medellin, Colombia, an ISRM Specialized Conference; a one-day Geomechanics for Unconventionals course in association with 2021 SPE Hydraulic Fracturing Technology Conference (HFTC); and one-day Geomechanics for Unconventionals course in association with 2021 ARMA Conference.
- Marisela (Director) and Neal (GTS Chair) have retired from the SPE Geomechanics Technical Section after serving the maximum term of three years. Nonetheless, they will continue to support GTS programs and efforts going forward.
- Marisela has been awarded as 2020 SPE Distinguished member she is also part of the Board of the ARMA Foundation.
- Neal is co-chair of the SPE Summit on Casing Deformation in Unconventionals, during HFTC 2021.
- Neal is the Chairman of the SPE Geomechanics Technical Section, Marisela is a Director.
- Neal and Marisela will teach a two-day course in Geomechanics for Unconventionals during the 9th Geomechanics Symposium in Medellin, Colombia, a ISRM Specialized Conference, May 3-4, 2021.
- We taught Unconventional geomechanics on-line training courses during SPE HFTC and URTEC in 2020.